If you have a love of the outdoors, an interest in socializing with people who feel the same way, and a willingness to volunteer, and are at least 18 years of age, you should consider the benefits of joining the California Alpine Club.
Attend one social event and do one work activity.
Entry Fee: $20 Regular Membership; $30 Joint Membership
Regular Membership: $100
Joint Membership: $170
Student (18-26): $20
There are many benefits. As a member you can:
• Join a friendly group of like-minded people and enjoy a year-long series of social events, such as the July 4th Party and a New Year’s Hike and Brunch.
• Participate in regular Sunday Hikes on Mt Tamalpais. The hikes begin and end at Alpine Lodge and usually finish with light refreshments on the deck in summer or around the fireplace in the winter.
• Enjoy organized Club overnight events at Alpine Lodge and especially at Echo Summit Lodge. Echo Summit Lodge is unique because of the wide variety of activities that are available, like skiing in winter and wilderness hiking in summer. Overnight accommodations are rustic and economical—perhaps especially important perhaps for young families—and in the spirit of the Club everybody helps out.
• Reserve the lodges for your own use or on a short term sharing basis (availability permitting). Some members have used the Alpine Lodge for family weddings and reunions.
• Tap into outdoor adventure knowledge that 100+ years of CAC members have passed-on.
How to Join
Before you can submit an application for membership you need to participate in two Club events. One of these events can be a social event and one must be a work activity. A good way to complete the work requirement is by participating in a lodge work party. See Alpine Lodge Work Party Schedule and Echo Work Party. There are a variety of social events at Alpine Lodge. To find out about scheduled activities, contact our Membership Chairperson at email@example.com. (HINT: Our Sunday morning hikes on Mt. Tam are a good place to start.)
Before attending your first activity, print out a copy of the Membership Application form and bring it with you. You will need to have your application signed by two sponsors. If you already know members of the Club this will be easy. If you do not then you will be meeting members when you attend the activities. Event hosts, work party hosts, and hike leaders are potential sponsors. The role of the sponsor is to review with you the Club’s purposes, goals, and the responsibilities of being a member of the Club. Essential to the success of our Club is a member with a “pitch in and help” attitude as our Club is built on volunteerism
By the way, it doesn’t matter the order in which you attend your social event and work activity. With two sponsor signatures, you are now ready to submit your application. Mail your completed application form and fees to the CAC Membership Chairperson, along with your check made payable to “California Alpine Club”.
Once you have submitted your application, you are considered a Club member and may participate in Club activities at member rates. Once the Board of Directors approves your application—which may take a couple of months—you will have full voting rights and may become an officeholder in the Club.
CAC Lodges are maintained and operated by the membership. In order to keep our low, co-op prices, members are expected to contribute to Club operations at least once a year. See Membership Expectations for details.